Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jenny Craigs Beef Veggie Soup


I love searching the recipes on Jenny Craig website. I'm not a member of J.C. but love the recipes I find. I made a batch of this wonderful soup and have put it in containers for a single serving and froze them. Along with other healthy dishes like bbq beans, healthy style of course, are all ready for me to pop into my bag to take to work. When ever I'm hungry and really not a good time to eat something large, I'll pop one of them in the microwave and enjoy.

1/2 lb lean boneless top round steak
nonstick vegetable spray
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, thinly sliced
3/4 tsp salt (I'm trying to not use salt so I'll use Lemon Pepper)
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups water
2 cans (14.75 oz) no-salt-added beef broth
1 can (14.75 oz) no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrot, sliced
1 medium-size yellow squash, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks

1. Trim fat from steak; cut steak into 1-inch pieces.

2. Remove steak from Dutch oven, and set aside.

3. Add oil to large pot or Dutch oven. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.

4. Reduce heat to medium-low; add lemon pepper. Cook 15 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally.

5. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.

6. Add beef, water, and next 5 ingredients to onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.

7. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

8. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Makes 10 servings
Calories 79
Carbohydrate 9g
Protein 6.8g
Fat 1.6g
Cholesterol 13mg
Sodium 216mg (Will be less if you use lemon pepper instead of salt)

No comments: