Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bobby's Lighter Corn Chowder

I'm a huge fan of Paula Deen and her boys. I so want to be her :)

I see that her son, Bobby Deen, has been remaking recipes that are a healthier version of the original recipe, like I have been doing.

Here is a great recipe from Bobby that I wanted to share with you.


Bobby’s Lighter Corn Chowder
By Bobby Deen

240 Fewer Calories
35mg Less Cholesterol

Ingredients:
3 strips center-cut reduced-fat bacon, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (32-ounce) container chicken stock
2 russet potatoes, cubed (I'm staying away from spuds so I'll use cauliflower)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby gold and white corn kernels (3 cups)
1 cup fat-free milk
3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
Spray a large nonstick saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.

Add the onion and jalapeno to the saucepan. Cook, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour; cook 1 minute. Add the broth, potatoes, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Add the corn, milk, half-and half. Cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and cilantro; sprinkle with the bacon.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: easy
Yield: 8 cups

Per Serving (1 cup): 167 Cal (15% from Fat, 23% from Protein, 62% from Carb); 10 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 1 g Mono Fat; 27 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 5 g Sugar; 117 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 668 mg Sodium; 6 mg Cholesterol

Original recipe courtesy Paula Deen (Chef Jack’s Corn Chowder)
Lightened Up recipe courtesy of Bobby Deen and the Paula Deen Test Kitchen

1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

Stacy! So happy to find you - thanks for following my blog. I've looked yours over and know you'll have things of interest to me too. I LOVE Paula - and have seen her in person. What a hoot! I love that Bobby is doing healthier recipes too. I look forward to getting to know you better thru blogging. Congrats on that weight loss - WOOOHOOO!!!