Sunday, January 2, 2011

Green Salad with Shrimp

I love reading all the wonderful recipes from Eating Well website. Eating salads for lunch is so refreshing to me and I love to have at least 1 salad a day. I know the dressing has tons of calories in the bottled version so I like to make my own.

When I came across this recipes I was delighted and had to give it a try.

I hope you like it as well.

4 servings

Total Time: 30 minutes


Ingredients

* 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
* 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon or chives
* 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
* 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or minced anchovy fillet
* 8 cups bite-size pieces green leaf lettuce
* 12 ounces peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound)
* 1/2 cucumber, sliced
* 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
* 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
* 1 cup rinsed and chopped canned artichoke hearts
* 1/2 cup chopped celery

Preparation

1. Puree avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and anchovy in a blender until smooth.
2. Divide lettuce among 4 plates. Top with shrimp, cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, artichoke hearts and celery. Drizzle the dressing over the salads.

Per serving: 292 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 134 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 9 g fiber; 790 mg sodium; 843 mg potassium.

No comments: