Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekends are the hardest time for me to eat healthy


I hate to say it but I like it when my husband is not home. I don't over eat, I stay on my healthy eating habit and all things are good in my healthy eating land LOL

Today is Sunday and all my husband and son are doing is eating.. eating and more eating.

They just made some nachos. OH MY GOODNESS they smell so good. It's taking all my power to not get a plate and make my own.

My husband thought I was having a brain fart but I was really just thinking of how I can make a healthy version of nachos.

I have the cheese part down. I'll take 1 low fat string cheese. Place it in my Ninja blender to shred the cheese into small pieces so it melts easily. I saw this on the Hungry Girl show on the Cooking channel.

Now the question is, what do I use as the chip? I'm coming up with blank ideas. Sure I could go and get a bag of the "baked" chips.. but I don't want a processed product.. I want a healthy choice.

Hmmm...

I found something that might be nice to try from www.food.com

I'll just give in and make it.

Vegetable Nachos

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper
* 2 cups fresh or Canned Pinto Beans
* 1 cup Shredded 2% Cheddar Cheese or 1 cup shredded L/F string cheese
* 1 cup Corn
* 1 cup Salsa
* chopped Cilantro
* Lime Wedges
* 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
* 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
* chopped green onion


Corn Tortilla Chips

* 9 6-inch corn tortillas
* cold water

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients.

2. Spoon 2 tsp. vegetable mixture on each tortilla chip; divide cheese evenly among chips.

4. Broil 6 inches from heat 1 minute or until cheese melts.

5. Yield: 26 appetizers

To make Corn Tortilla Chips:


Cut 3 (2 1/2 inch) circles from each tortilla using a biscuit cutter.

6. Dip tortillas in water; drain on paper towels.

7. Place rounds in a single layer on an un-greased baking sheet.

8. Bake at 350* for 10 minutes or until chips are crisp and begin to brown.

9. Remove from oven, and let cool.

No comments: