Monday, February 14, 2011

Semi Homemade Valentines Cake


I couldn't spend my whole Valentines Day sitting in my office and not doing anything fun for my boys.

I know how sad they get when I bake up tons of cupcakes and take them to someone other then our house.

So I stopped by the store to pick up some rib eyes and all the ingredients to have a wonderful dinner at home.

Instead of cupcakes, I thought I would get out of my comfort zone and make a double layer cake.

I received a checker board cake pan set from my Aunt Judy and just love to make cakes and I should actually make them one this week and bring it to them as a surprise.

So I made batter for a red velvet cake, yes out of a box does the trick, and a vanilla cake batter.

I baked the cakes as directed on the box and let cool. I leveled off the tops of each.

Placed one layer on my cake dish and put down a layer of frosting.

I topped the frosting layered cake with the second cake.

I placed the cake in the freezer to set up a bit.

I frosted the remaining cake and I'm just so shocked, it came out great.

It reminded me of my Grandmother Agnes' cakes she would make.

The frosting I made was a pecan frosting.

I took a large bag of whole pecans from my local grocery store and blended them into tiny pieces.

I placed 5 soften sticks of organic Irish butter, 1 two pound bag of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, you can add a bit of water until you get it to the thinness you like. I didn't have to use any water.

I found the recipe for the frosting from my good friends blog, Sweet Creations by Stephanie

Please try this recipe, you won't be sorry.

No comments: